Sunday, November 27, 2011

Living, Living, Mmmh, Thanksgiving.

So. Hi.

About a month ago, the tree in our yard looked like this:













It now looks like this:






Look at that. Just look! I actually hadn't noticed it. But it's in the air. The windy air, I might add, as it is storming outside.

It's the end of fall. After today, there are only 3 days left of November. It's the first of Advent today, which for many means a preview of their Christmas presents; to me, it means the start of the Christmas season. Winter. Winter already...

Last Thursday was Thanksgiving; the American holiday of the fall. As we don't get an actual Thanksgiving holiday in Denmark, let alone celebrate it at all, my family had some friends over last night instead. In case some of you Danes are wondering, Americans celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks (shocking, right?) for everything we are grateful for. It's all a bunch of turkey, pies and pleasantly shoving food down your throat until you can hardly breathe. Oh, and then there was something about some Pilgrims and Indians sharing a meal in peace... Nice stuff like that.

The turkey was grand, though slightly smaller than usual. It actually fit in our oven this time! The stuffing, my absolute favorite part, was soft and perfectly spiced. There was both apple pie and pumpkin pie, and tons of food for everyone. So I was happy, of course.

Naturally, something had to go wrong this year as well, as it has on all of our Thanksgiving's. The ghost of the Thanksgiving we made the mistake of grilling the turkey, and it caught on fire, still haunts me. It wasn't quite as dramatic this year, though; we just forgot the cranberry sauce (such an irrelevant but oddly yummie product), and we now have an entire pot of it left over, while we have next to no turkey. Our fridge is completely stuffed with leftovers; to an insane level, actually. And (ohohohohoho) two halves of leftover pies sit temptingly in our kitchen; both the pleasingly crunchy, yet still mouthwateringly soft apple pie, served with vanilla ice-cream, and the hilariously squishy and completely inexplicably delicious pumpkin pie served with sweet whipped cream... Mmmhhh...

Thanksgiving this year also served as a reunion for me and my best girlfriends, Ida and Male. The three of us haven't hung out together in ages, and I thought that meeting under familiar circumstances (what can I say, we like to eat...) would be more than great. Needless to say, with all that yummie food, and excellent company, we ended up feeling stuffed like little pigs, and having a very pleasant evening of piling endless amounts of food on our plate.

Aside from the fact that there is a hurricane level storm raging right outside the window, I'm am writing next to, things are quite peaceful at the moment. Well, I guess things are a little Chrismas-stressful... But hey, it wouldn't be the holiday season without all-overshadowing towering scream-inducing a little stress!

Otherwise, my life goes on, steadily waddling into winter. I'm learning to wear more than one layer under my jacket. Wool everything is the preferred garment of this season for me. I have learnt to appreciate thermoses and hot tea. And the warm cake, that can be bought in the schools little cantine. It's getting harder and harder to wake up in the morning, what with all-consuming blackness outside my window. I also continue to marvel in the fact that it is pitch-black outside at 5pm. I have a newfound joy in Kleenexes. And my family has decorated our house with elves and snowglobes and nutcrackers and paper figures of Santa and his reindeer.

Ah, winter. It's not so bad after all, is it? It just makes me want to curl up in a blanket with a cup of hot tea and a book, listen to some Ella Fitzgerald and listen to the wind howl outside, while I eat a slice of pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.


 M Y    K I T C H E N ,    A F T E R    I T    W A S    R A P E D    B Y 

 ♥    T H A N K S G I V I N G    












Pieeeeeeeeeeee.

Thanks for listening,

I Am Roseberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment